If you’re facing criminal charges in Texas, it would be in your best interest to contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible because it will make sure your rights and freedoms will be protected. A lot of people don’t understand the role that this person plays in their case. So, if you have been arrested because you were suspected of a crime, you should speak to a criminal defense attorney in Corpus Christi immediately.
The Role of Criminal Defense Attorney
Some of the things that a criminal defense attorney will do to help your case will include the following:
- Will interview you to understand your case — A criminal defense attorney will interview you to find out the specifics of your case. This is important for any knowledgeable lawyer who wants to come up with a solid defense. Without this important step, your attorney won’t be able to develop a good strategy.
- Will investigate your case to build a defense — Your lawyer will be able to perform an in-depth investigation, so he or she can gather the evidence and information that’s necessary to come up with a solid defense. Your attorney will also interview all of the witnesses while reviewing the prosecutor’s case to find any flaws, weak points, and loopholes.
- Will examine the evidence in the prosecutor’s case — Your attorney will be able to come up with the most appropriate strategy to defend you by examining all the evidence gathered by law enforcement (in addition to what they find in their own investigation).
- Will help you to negotiate a plea bargain — In a lot of cases, the prosecution will offer a “plea bargain” to defendants. They will give you the opportunity to plead guilty to a reduced charge in exchange for a lesser sentence. But before you admit guilt or negotiate a plea bargain, your attorney will need to look at the available defenses to see if it’s possible to get the charges dismissed.
- Will prepare your case for trial — If your case goes to trial, an attorney will be able to come up with a solid defense strategy. This person will be able to answer all possible questions that the prosecution may ask, which can help you to get a more favorable outcome.
If you’re looking for a criminal defense attorney in Corpus Christi that can help you with your case, be sure to reach out to Gale Law Group.
Advantages of Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney
Some of the advantages of hiring a criminal defense attorney will include the following:
- Knowing how to navigate the legal system — An experienced criminal defense attorney will have a good understanding of the legal system, which can be helpful in coming up with a good defense strategy.
- Connections in the legal system — Having a good idea of who’s involved in a criminal case can help your attorney to come up with a good strategy for your defense, because they communicate with prosecutors and judges on a daily basis.
- Protection from serious criminal penalties — Facing criminal charges can be frustrating and even stressful, but having a criminal defense attorney will make sure that the charges will be dismissed. If you have been found guilty, a criminal defense attorney might be able to persuade the judge to reduce the penalty.
- Access to resources that can help your defense — Good criminal defense attorneys will have the expertise and resources to defend you. It’s all about collecting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, finding loopholes in the prosecutor’s case, and having a good defense strategy. If you hire a criminal defense attorney with the right knowledge, you can count on this person to use these resources effectively.
- Savings of both time and money — Representing yourself in a criminal case can be time-consuming, expensive, and even risky. It may seem like you’ll be saving money by taking this approach, but you should think about the long-term consequences of losing your case. You most likely won’t have the expertise, knowledge, connections, and resources to defend yourself. And a self-representing criminal defendant is always an easy target for prosecutors. A criminal defense attorney will not only protect your rights and your freedom, but will also speed up the process.
It’s always in your best interests to hire a qualified attorney to help you with your case, so you can get your life back to normal. If you’re looking for one of the best criminal defense lawyers in Corpus Christi, be sure to get in touch with Gale Law Group.